Monday, March 19, 2007

Whats Up with the Busbys


In an effort to keep everyone informed and on the same page we finally set up this blog we hope it helps. Yes, I know it's a long time over due!
First let us say Thank You to all of you that have walked this journey with us. Some from the beginning and some just recently. Nevertheless, prayers ,help with the children,meals,Dr.s appt.'s ,chemo appt.'s ,financial, and encouragements are just a few of the ways you all have touched our lives.

We have never done a blog before so if for some reason we leave out some info please feel free to ask us in the comment section. We welcome the questions and will do our best to answer them.

So many have asked just what is it Jennifer has. The name of the cancer is Carcino-sarcoma.
We are not quite cetain where it originated but we think it originated in the ovaries due to the pathology that showed immature ovarian cells in the tumors. Because of the nature of the tumor it is very hard to diagnose untill it is already significant in size. I was diagnosed Jan 2005, but was ill a good year before anyone could tell me what was going on. Fatigue was a huge red flag.
I had gone to Dr after Dr, had tests and because I did not ask for the right tests I went on frustrated with the entire process. I was told I had everything from irritable bowl to viral pancreatitus. I had normal paps and in the early stages the Ct scans and ultra sounds showed nothing. So it was like we were in a battle with an invisible enemy. Long storey short by the time I was diagnosed I was in full blown fourth stage malignancy. The prognosis was grave.
I remember leaving the Dr. and Kevin grabbing my hand and saying "Honey, we can't give the enemy and inch here." So we started to fight. We did a wholistic route at first because we felt I needed to go for quality of life, since my quantity of life was in question. For three months I
began to gain strenth and my body got stronger in some ways but the cancer was growing as well. So After three months we started carbo and taxol chemo. I did this for several months and then had a major debulking surgery. Debulking is just what it sounds like. The Dr. goes in and extrcats as much cancer tumors as possible.
I have Amazing Dr.s .My Med Onc. is TAd Beeker. For those that don't know the Med Onc is the Dr that oversees the chemo and essentially drives the bus. My Surgical Onc. is Lee Thompson. He is the one that does any surgery I need from a port to a major overhaul. Both of these Dr.s are gifted men at what they do and I can say onekind of becomes like family after a while or at least good friends .
Anyway, I took more chemo and it wasn't strong enough. Some hard decisions needed to be made . I was needing break if I was going to fight some more. So I took the summer and enjoyed the kids and family. Kevin and I enjoyed for the first time in two years some normalsy for about three months untill it was evident I needed to do something. So I went back on some really heavy duty chemo for months and under went another debulking. This time I had three surgeons. Dr Finnan a GYN ONC. , Dr Daniels a very talented thoracic Onc. , and Dr. Thompson . They all did their part and did what they could. I recouped and started more chemo. My body would not do the heavy chemo anymore some we tried something to at least keep the fluid down. Which is where we find ourelves today.

The swelling in my abdomen is because the tumors are active and making fluid to cushion the tumors. The body is amazing how it works to survive. God has truly made an amazing instrument in the design of the body. So Dr Thomspon is going to go in on April 2nd and
do another debulk. Typically the type of cancer I have is not one that is operable, but as Dr. Thompson said " For some reason your body responds to this type of treatment." So you know
what I say .... In the words of Tyler perry "HALILUYER!!" We serve an awsome GOD!
We are so blessed to have options, and you know what? Even if we didn't have options we are blessed. The surgery is at 8 am at Mobile infirmary. Our friends Connie and Gary are coming in to take care of the kids for those weeks I am layed up. Our goal is to keep things as normal as possible. Standard stay in the hospital is two weeks , but I always ask the Lord to heal me up quick so I can get home soon and he does. Our childrens school Bay Shore Christian has been an amazing light house for the children. They have also ministered to our family through meals and prayers. They are preparing meals through April 12th. My sister Dot , dad, and Aunt will also be in for the surgery. Specific prayer needs relating to the surgery are : No scar tissue to have to contend with, removal of the tumor blocking the uriter, removal of tumor pressing on blood vessels of the spleen and spleen removal, removal of all tumors around or on the liver, removel of tumors around pancrease with no damage at all to the pancrease , also good resection of intestines if he hs to get into the intestines for any reason. Now let me be clear and say. A Ct can only tell so much, so he could get in there and say there is nothing he can do that is always a possibility. However as bad as all this sounds we have been here several times before and although I have not walked in complete healing I have walked in a super natural sustaining!
God is not taken back by any of this. If I may be frank for a moment . We need all of you to pray regarding these things, and be careful to not to get caught up in the negative stuff and gossip. Our children need to see the peace in the storm. My sweet husband needs to be encouraged not bombarded with a million what if's . We have to face those enough with in our selves. Please know our hearts and requests are as much from our heart of love to you as your desire to pray is for us! We deeply appreciate and thank you all for your inquiries, offers and prayers. We are so honored and favored to be in the family of God.

9 comments:

Paige said...

Jennifer, thank you for posting this blog. Like so many others who love you, I have really wanted to know the details of the situation, but was too timid to ask because I did not want to intrude. Brad and I will pray specifically on the things you listed. We are praying for Kevin and your beautiful, hilarious, gifted children. I consider you my sister and will stand by you and your family through this in prayer to our great Heavenly Father.
Give everyone my love!
XOXO
-Paige Hill

Unknown said...

Dear Busbys,

You have all been a tremendous blessing to our school. Thanks for allowing us to walk this difficult path with you. Thankfully, our Good Shepherd knows the way, His faithfulness is great, and His love abounds forever.

We love you,

Frank Merry

Brooke Love said...

Jen and Kevin,
Thank you so much for setting this blog up. I think this is an awesome tool to keep everyone not only informed, but also unified in prayer. we love you incredibly! Kelly and Brooke

Teresa Persons said...

Thank you both so much for taking the time to post this blog. Once again, you are thinking of "others." There are no words to tell you how much you are all loved and we consider it an honor to travel this journey with you. God has truly gifted you and Kevin with supernatural strength, peace and grace which you generously extend to all of us.

See you soon!
Your Reesie (Teresa Persons)

Joshand Colleene said...

Kev,Jenn,Mert and Jacab!
I think it is such a great Idea to have a blog. This can keeps us knowing what exactly we are praying so hard for!Josh and are so pumped to be apart of watching the hand of God move in your lives! Jenn, I love that you are such a great learner and let us in on the details so that we can pray and know exactly what are target is. Josh and are Praying so hard, We love you all so much! And cant wait for a quick recovery!
Love yall!
Josh and Colleene Cronin

sue litton said...

KEN , JENN AND FAMILY;
THANK YOU FOR THE BLOG IT IS GREAT AND ALSO HELPS TO READ FROM YOUR VIEW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH AND YOUR TRUST IN THE LORD. YOU HAVE BEEN IN OUR PRAYERS AT NORTH MOBILE. I AM GOOD FRIENDS WITH YOUR TERSEA. LOVE AND PRAYERS. SUE LITTON
ROMANS 8:28

Susan Sanders said...

Hello sweet girl! I want you to know that you and your precious family are in Barre and my prayers. We are praying God's healing on your body and for strength and courage. We love you so much and thank God for your friendship and prayers during my journey of cancer.

You and Kevin are a tremendous lighthouse to all that come in contact with you.

Psalm 37:4 "I can do all things through Christ that strengthenth me".

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call upon Me and I will show you great and mighty things that you do not know".

I'll see you very soon.

Love always,
Barre and Susan Sanders

Unknown said...

Jennifer,
I will pray for you and your family and know that your strength and your faith will be with you at all times. Your story truly is a blessing to those who know you. May God be with you and your family through it all.
Christie Lee Davis

AmySue said...

HI Busby family! It has been a while since I have heard how you are...we have moved to Florida but I know that no matter where we are we can still pray for you! God's love is wide and deep and has no end! He is there through it all and knows just how much we can handle! I love you and will be praying for all of you, especially in the upcoming days. God is faithful!

Much love,

Amy Greene Mercer & family